Reader's Advisory Tools



Utilizing Novelist through the Prescott Public Library database system I answered the following prompt questions as I would, were I providing Reader’s Advisory services to patrons when I worked at Prescott Public Library in Prescott, AZ.  The second tab under each question is how I searched to find the answer! 

1.     I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!
o   The third book in the series is Circus of the Damned.  If that is the last book you read, the next one would be The Lunatic CafĂ©.   This is a great series.  There are 26 books in the series- and I can do a series print out if you’d like so that you have the full order. 
§  I searched “Anita Blake” under the series tab and the titles appeared in numbered order.  To ensure that the patron was actually on the right title in the series I mentioned the third book they said they just finished and the fourth one, which should be the next title to read. 

2.     What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.
o   What about Bloodroot by Amy Greene or Euphoria by Lily King?  They both have lyrical and lush writing, featuring interesting female characters, and the plots are a bit more involved and should read with a faster pace. 
§  I looked at the style tags under Prodigal Summer and also at the read-alikes recommended by Novelist.  Bloodroot was a read-alike recommendation but Euphoria was something thematically similar with similar writing tags that I would also recommend personally. 


3.     I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!
o   Try The Printmaker’s Daughter by Katherine Govier.  This is set in 19th Century Japan and shows multiple levels of Japanese society through the eyes of a master printmaker and his daughter. 
§  I performed a keyword search for “Japan Historical Fiction”, was seeing much more modern historical fiction and so did a search for “Japan Historical Fiction 1800’s” and looked at the list to find one where the reviews discussed the levels of society and immersion. 

4.     I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?
o   Have you tried Martha Grimes’ Richard Jury Series?  The first book in the series is The Man With a Load of Mischief.  It’s also set in England and might be just the thing. 
§  I looked through NoveList suggested Read-alikes for a series that seemed to fit the themes and intensity-level of the patron’s supplied title. 

5.     My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?
o   There is a new book called Last Ones Left Alive by Sarah Davis-Groff set in Ireland which could be just the thing.  If he likes humor at all he could also try Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion which is set in the perspective of a zombie. 
§  I did a keyword search for “Zombies” and limited it to adult fiction titles.  After that I looked for ones that would most likely interest a male fan of the genre.

6.     I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.
o   The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt was just turned into a movie last year.  Have you read it yet?
§  Novelist had a handy banner add which suggested books from movies- and in that sublist had search recommendation for “GX books to movies”. I limited the search to Adult audience, and literary fiction genre.

7.     I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.
o   Have you tried Dan Brown’s Treason in his Navy Justice Series, or Jason Elam’s Riley Covington Series which starts with Monday Night Jihad?  They are both fast-paced and should be extremely limited in those area you aren’t a fan of.
§  I did a search for Christian Thrillers and looked for series and series read-alikes to suggest.  Dan Brown is a read-alike and not a Christian Thriller, but from my experience he is much more plot-focused and has limited foul language.


Finally, how do I find new books to read?

For the most part I use GoodReads to find new books, but I also follow a few Facebook pages such as Lit Hub, For Reading Addicts, and Bookstr. They regularly post lists of popular new releases and highly anticipated titles that I check out.  Still, my FAVORITE way to find a book is to wander the stacks at a library, (or if I have a little spending money, at a bookstore) and see what pops visually out at me.  Covers are great indicators of style, and can convince me to pick up a title, but I won’t read it unless it’s got a good few first pages, or a super intriguing jacket description.




Comments

  1. Fantastic job! You did a wonderful job outlining all the steps you took when utilizing Novelist and your recommendations are the better for it! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Question of "Questionable" Subjects

LGBTQ+ Annotation: Mostly Dead Things

The Uncertain Future